Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A LILY FOR A SMILE

The last few blossoms of my lily bouquet.
Having fresh flowers nearby always makes me smile. I don't know if it's that stereotypical girl thing, where it is ingrained in us to like flowers and want them given to us as presents, but I'm leaning more towards a personal preference as I know many girls who consider fresh flowers to be a waste of time and money. The exact opposite of how I feel. In all truth, my instincts tell me this love of flowers on the kitchen table or office desk is primarily influenced by my mother. She always had fresh flowers around, always bought a bouquet for the home, for the host when she was a house-guest elsewhere, for special occasions, even if we were just invited to dinner at the neighbors. While her European roots consider this behavior to be ordinary and expected, it is not as common in the US. Sure, we are known to buy flowers for birthdays, anniversaries, when a friend or family member is in a stage production, funerals, and of course, Valentine's Day, but fresh flowers do not carry the same commonplace role in daily life as they do in many other places.




Growing up, I remember buying flowers at the market was like buying milk and bread. Another staple item that was wrapped in cellophane or brown paper and put in the cart. Nowadays, when I go to the grocery store I find myself almost automatically reaching for whichever bunch of flowers and leaves catches my eye. Each week I try to mix it up, be enamored by different blossoms and vegetation, and watch how flowers change day to day. I always fall for the peonies. And I love the classic Gerber daisies. And the fragrant roses. Happy sunflowers. Simple marigolds. The tulips, that will always remind me of my mom and Dutch family.  Delicate orchids.  Elegant lilies. Bursting chrysanthemums. And I could go on forever. Getting lost in a flower market is one of the more enjoyable things I can imagine doing right now...

We all know Valentine's Day is right around the corner and roses will be selling like hot cakes... What is your favorite flower to receive a bouquet of? Do you love fresh flowers as much as I do?

 
This week I have had a beautiful bouquet of orange lilies sitting on my table. 

• • •

No comments:

Post a Comment