Monday, January 16, 2012

My Bike

When I finished the Peace Corps, I came back with a mission, to go car-less. Abroad I thoroughly enjoyed living without a car; I loved exploring new cities and cultures by foot, bus or train. I found walking around with my ipod and a new playlist to be calming and an opportunity to reflect. Not to mention it helped me get my daily workout in without thinking about it.

When I moved to LA for my TOMS internship, I was determined to walk or bike to work, being that HQ was only two miles from our apartment. So I bought a cruiser bike and made good on that promise. I have experienced LA with a new pair of eyes-- it's crazy what you can miss in a car. I've seen plants that I didn't know existed, cool houses, scary spiders, people of all ethnicities and ages, random acts of kindness, poverty... you name it I've seen it. I even saw a moving truck spew out precious belongings while people (myself included) rushed to the aid of pots, pants and guitars on Santa Monica Ave.

But I've decided after much consideration that I am going to buy a car at the end of the month. Part of me is sad for the environment, my worn out boots and the walking time I will miss out on. But ultimately I think a car will bring back a new set of freedoms, some I haven't been privy to for about two years now. I have to admit I'm a little terrified to drive again, but hey I'm sure it's like riding a bike...pun intended!

Here are some photos of my purdy bike and my favorite nail polish as of late- "Butter" expensive but worth it if you hate nail polish that chips!


Schwinn Cruiser

No comments:

Post a Comment